Publishing has transformed from its traditional format to embrace all things digital, giving rise to a whole new domain of e-publishing. Paperback and hardcover books, journals, and magazines have, to a great extent, been replaced by their digital counterparts that can be accessed from almost any electronic device in the click of a button, or the swipe of a finger. Electronic publishing or E Publishing companies are prominence in this rapidly changing world that relies on all things digital.
What is e-publishing?
E-publishing can be understood as the digital version of print medium. This content in a work that is published digitally can be accessed through a tablet, a PC, a laptop, or even a mobile device. This is made possible through applications such as e-readers, or even e-reading devices that are specifically made for electronic dissemination. E-books, e-journals, and e-magazines can also be transmitted via emails, CD-ROMs, portable document files etc. through the internet or using other networks.
What are the advantages of e-publishing?
E-publishing has several advantages over traditional print publishing. Here are some of them.
- Digital content can be published as soon as it gets ready, unlike traditional publishing, which can take maybe months or even years. While books that are printed take a long time to reach stores for sale, the content that is published online can be disseminated over the internet almost immediately.
- Books and journals published online receive better visibility all over the world. There are virtually no boundaries in e-publishing, and any reader, in any part of the world can access the online content with internet connectivity, required credentials, and a token payment. It is also easier to search for articles, web journals, and e-books than for physical ones.
- Electronic publishing can be made interactive when needed. With the help of quick response (QR codes), publishers, authors, and marketers can collect customer data, feedback, and even disseminate periodic promotional material with ease. Readers and prospective customers can use these codes to search for more information about the author, the publisher, other books in the series, subscription, and about stores that sell physical copies, and so on.
- Reviews and changes are a lot easier in e-publishing than in the traditional format. Audits can be done in very little time, and changes can be uploaded almost instantly without waste of money or other resources.
- Images and charts used in physical formats can be made interactive in e-publishing. Links can be inserted, and animations or videos embedded with minimum effort when publishing happens through the electronic medium.
Why is e-publishing important?
People today live in a world that is largely connected and driven by electronic devices and digital media. This hyper-connected world has limitless possibilities in accessing and sharing content. While many still love to read a book or magazine in its print format, most people prefer to take it along with them on their electronic device such as a laptop, a smartphone, a tablet, or simply and e-reader. Publishers can stay relevant in this fast-changing world only when they cater to this need with e-publishing.
How can e-publishers benefit from digital media service providers?
As with the traditional publishing process, e-publishing too involves many different stages from planning through production and final product. An electronic publishing company may not have the necessary resources, or may lack time necessary to get involved in each of these phases. In such situations, a digital media service provider can be of immense help. They help with many tasks such as the following.
- Converting physical or printed files into digital formats such as DVD, CD, web formats, or even e-reader formats.
- Developing content and managing the process.
- Conducting necessary proofreading and editorial tasks.
- Assuring quality through all stages of manuscript development.
- Developing scripts for audios and voiceover narrations, and recording them.
- Creating easily convertible and portable formats for the content.
- Creating necessary support material for educational textbooks such as tests, solutions, illustrations, and so on.
- Generating QR codes and integrating them with marketing efforts and publications.
Traditional book publishing services, when combined with newer technologies opens up a world of limitless possibilities through e-publishing, for companies who want their work to reach far and wide.
- Which Publishing Service Provider Is Right for You? A company that is into the publishing business has many different needs. Depending on whether...